The goal of the Glenmary Formation is to prepare future missioners to serve as Glenmary priests and brothers to live lives giving public witness of poverty, chastity, obedience and prayer. Throughout the formation process, each man will have the opportunity for spiritual, intellectual, psychological, physical, emotional, and professional growth so that they can serve effectively in the ministry of the Society.
The prenovitiate program provides candidates an:
• introduction to Glenmary ideals, values, and way of life;
• atmosphere where the candidate can discern if God is calling him;
• environment in which the candidate can grow in intimacy with God.
The pre-novitiate is generally one year in length, but may vary according to the needs of the individual.
The novitiate provides an opportunity for:
• personal growth in virtue;
• a deepening of spiritual life;
• learning about Glenmary history, goals, and structure;
• understanding missionary life.
The length of the novitiate is one year. After the novitiate, one can request to profess his first Oath.
The advanced formation program, both for brothers and seminarians, continues the student’s:
• development of spirituality, prayer life;
• academic, professional, and pastoral training;
• growth in personal maturity.
This stage of formation lasts from the end of the novitiate until the Final Oath.
Glenmary’s formation is centered on authentic Christian values and grounded in the Gospel.